[WikiEN-l] NOR contradicts NPOV

Phil Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 15:54:27 UTC 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 9:58 AM, Carcharoth wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Phil Sandifer
> <snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> So basically, we have a phrase that mandates the violation of NPOV on
>> a host of articles, that was inserted without discussion, and that
>> has
>> been controversial in every subsequent discussion. But we keep it,
>> because it's "consensus."
>
> Have you tried suggesting this change on the talk page and advertising
> the discussion at various relevant noticeboards and other project talk
> pages?

I'm sorry, I should give a more complete answer here.

Yes, and among the stellar responses created by the people who
currently populate our policy talk pages and thus, by default, control
our policy formation is that the correct solution is to not cover the
criticism of the person in depth either, thus removing the balance
problem.

Yes. Apparently the road to a NPOV encyclopedia is now to avoid
posting any information whatsoever.

This is what happens when the old-timers leave the policy pages, by
the way. The worst of the Taylorized take over.

Which is why I keep bringing these things up on the list - in the
hopes that the comparative sanity of the list will wander back to the
policy pages and start fixing these messes.

-Phil