[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 14:53:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> But since half the people involved complain about "not being able to get
> anything done on Wikipedia" now we can politely explain to them that they
> are a part of the problem.
>
> Nathan

Sorry to jump in so late in the thread... At least in my experience,
it's very easy for editors without the subscriptions they need to get
articles from other Wikipedians, and quickly.

Maybe a large (and free) part of the solution could be to make better
use of the systems we've already developed on our own:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Resource_Exchange

I think there are a lot of priorities for WMF funds that rank higher
than buying institutional access to sources.  Before we try to make
Wikipedia more like a university this particular respect (journal
access), we should improve the editing experience (socially and
technically) so that it's a place where more editors will stay for 4
years.  Giving editors less reason to rely on others (to obtain
sources, in this case) may even be counterproductive to that end.

As someone with institutional access to many hard-to-find things, I
know I get a warm feeling whenever I'm able to provide another editor
with the source they were looking for.  Those kinds of interactions, I
think, keep me tied to the project more than work I do in my own
little corner.

-Sage (User:Ragesoss)