[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Dec 26 20:01:28 UTC 2008

<<In a message dated 12/26/2008 11:43:52 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
carcharothwp at googlemail.com writes:

whether  that refers to the images or the contents seems
moot  really.>>

Well David, in the case he pointed to, is stating that under US law (which
is what governs Wikipedia), they don't even own a copyright to the images.

What I'm saying, is that even *if* they had a copyright to the images, they
don't own a copyright to the text.

"Download or print" is the entire issue in my mind.  If you want a  copy of
the *information* in the image, you don't have to download or print it,  you
can simply clip out the text and render it as plain text, over which, even  with
a photographic claim, they would have no copyright.

Either way, this entire issue is moot.
We should wait until such time as JSTOR actually sues Wikipedia, or  actually
asserts a claim over a specific instance of plain text.
We should, imho, refrain from making copies of their images, whether they
actually enjoy a valid copyright claim or not.

Will Johnson

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.