[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 26 19:43:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/26  <WJhonson at aol.com>:
>> <<In a message dated 12/26/2008 8:19:49 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>> gmaxwell at gmail.com writes:
>
>>> Wtf go  look in jstor- they happily assert copyright on hundreds of
>>> thousands of  pre 1928 pd documents.>>
>
>> WTF? WTF?
>> Ok wtf back at ya.  I call your bluff and raise you.
>> I can also assert hundreds of statements for which I can offer no  evidence.
>> So piss off with your attitude.  And merry christmas !
>> Now let's see some evidence.
>

> Y'know, there's scepticism and then there's just being lazy.
>
> Go to www.jstor.org, click on "Terms and Conditions" and you tell me
> what 2.2 and 2.3 say.

I think 2.2 (i) is particularly relevant:

"download or print, or attempt to download or print, an entire issue
or issues of journals or substantial portions of the entire run of a
journal" - whether that refers to the images or the contents seems
moot really.

I would like to point out here that there are other databases that are
generally free to use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysics_Data_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PubMed_Central

Are the two I most often use.

Though others, like the Nature archives, are still difficult to access:

http://www.nature.com/nature/archive/index.html

Nicely laid out, but once you get to the issue you want, you still
invariably hit a paywall.

> ps: your civility levels in these two messages are somewhat below
> suitable levels for the list, and I wouldn't mention it except I've
> already had complaints this quicly.

It's Christmas. Don't do anything based on what was said to me. :-)

Carcharoth