[WikiEN-l] JarlaxleArtemis/Grawp

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 26 00:50:09 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
>> 2008/12/26 Soxred93 <soxred93 at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Maybe we can set it for only 1 day, but use a JS hack to say that
>>> it's indefinite. That might get the word out to them. :)
>>

>> The idea of blocking a whole ISP is unlikely to fly. I suspect that
>> an admin placing such a block without agreement from the arbcom and
>> the Foundation (cos you *know* they'd get the crap for it) would be
>> (a) quickly reversed (b) given a slap round the head with a trout at
>> the very least.
>>
>> Attention-getting blocks have worked on bodies the size of
>> universities before (I recall two of them, both put into place by a
>> sitting arbitrator who then managed relations with the organisations
>> very closely), but even then it was a very last desperate resort.
>> Throwing our weight around like that would be a PR disaster, no
>> matter how unresponsive Verizon were being.

This is one reason I suggested that it come from Foundation level, to an
equivalent stratum of responsibility, to head off the PR outfall. If
negotiations fail, there would be a difficult trade-off between defending
our position without giving details (per [[WP:DFTT]], [[WP:BEANS]] and
[[WP:DENY]]), and making our case. Some overview of the damage caused would
be a must.

However, as an Admin, the integrity of the encyclopedia is more or less my
first duty, and I don't have a problem about blocking a whole ISP for one
day if that is the only way of getting their attention.