[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Dec 24 09:43:44 UTC 2008

Nathan wrote:
> It's a pretty neat idea. I think we should start with trying to get access
> to JSTOR. Gmaxwell's objection is one that we should, I think, leave aside.
> JSTOR access for Wikimedia editors would be quite handy, although I'm not
> sure how many could use it or would avail themselves of it were the
> opportunity publicized.
>
> We should avoid general assumptions about any group of people, including
> ours. For instance, either that many editors have access to these resources
> already (I do, but I see no reason to believe "many" do), or that "most of
> academia" has any particular opinion of Wikimedia and its projects.
>
> Perhaps this suggestion was posted to the wrong list - foundation-l would be
> more appropriate, since I don't think individual editors should be
> approaching organizations like JSTOR without the prior notice and approval
> of the Foundation.
You raise an important point about the Foundation being the one to seek
access.  The usefulness would be across the projects, not just for
English Wikipedia.  In Wikisource no more than a dozen would likely need
access at any given time.  Understandably, we wouldn't be duplicating
the protected material that they host, but more than once I have run
into their brick wall when I was only trying to find some basic
information about an author hosted by Wikisource.

Ec