[WikiEN-l] flagged revvvs

Jon scream at datascreamer.com
Mon Dec 22 03:01:19 UTC 2008

Charlotte Webb wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Protecting_BLP_articles_feeler_survey
>

> This is either measurable progress or a complete train wreck, I'm
> not sure which.
>
> There are a number of divergent views: *That semi-protecting a vast
> sub-set of articles would be less drastic than using stable
> versions on them (wtf, over) *That stable versions on BLPs would be
> a good test case for using it everywhere *That stable versions on
> BLPs would be a good thing, but should still be opposed as a
> slippery slope toward using it on all pages (more of a slippery
> climb actually) *That stable versions should be opposed at any
> level, with arguments like "disaster waiting to happen" and "I do
> not have sufficient obscenities in my vocabulary to express..."
>
> I see an emerging consensus that I should go jump in the lake, as
> my own views should ***hopefully*** be clear enough. I take full
> credit for hijacking it and I agree entirely with Greg's points. A
> conscious effort to apply the same standards everywhere would be
> the best long-term approach, even if it seems a 180° reversal at
> the moment.
>
> But maybe the flaggedrevs must be presented as a BLP tool in order
> for the community to accept it. Maybe there's no other chance in
> hell. Boggling as it is I'm willing to accept this.
>
> So alright, sure, start with the BLPs, cook the perishable food
> first, but don't stop there. I don't want to see people going
> apeshit when it is used for the actual intended purposes.
>
> I should apologize for alienating everyone from Long Beach to
> Shaftesbury trying to get my point across. Probably a pipe dream
> anyway.
>
> No one knows what it's like to be a dustbin.
>
> —C.W.

I know what it is like to be in a dustbin.

Hello again, CW.  It has been a while since we last spoke...

I do agree with CW in the way that flagrev could be applied here to
BLP articles. this is the one area where articles may have a clear and
present impact on the lives of people.  While I don't like any of the
proposed solutions, I agree, something must be done.  I am willing to
accept flagged revisions in the interim.  Perhaps if it goes well on
BLP  articles, an argument could be made to  apply it elsewhere.

Jon-