[WikiEN-l] Scientists told "publish in Wikipedia or else"

Thomas Larsen larsen.thomas.h at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 23:32:47 UTC 2008

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying.

> This is an excellent experiment. With Wikipedia's open edit process I am
> confident that the plan will adjust as it is implemented and I, for one
> would like to see more academic journals take on this tact of publishing
> their results under GFDL (on Wikipedia or their own journal). Knowledge is
> power only if there is access to that knowledge.

The issue I have, though, is that I feel that Wikipedia is doing a bad
job of giving people "knowledge". Many scientists (I would assume--the
proof of the concept is in the editing, I suppose) would agree with my
position. These people might object to having their "knowledge" placed
on Wikipedia to be torn apart and/or built up by the ignorant masses
(no offense intended).

The idea might work, but I'm willing to step out and say that I don't
think it will.

On the other hand, I might be pleasantly wrong :-).

--Thomas Larsen