[WikiEN-l] The Community vs. Scholarly Consensus

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 09:52:19 UTC 2008

In a message dated 12/18/2008 1:41:10 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mark at formonelane.net writes:

Phil has  hinted at it, but the primary reason we should be able to summarise
and  rephrase the words of humanities experts is that if we don't, our
articles  won't make any gosh-darned sense ...>>

--------------------
You *can* summarize and rephrase the words of humanities experts.
That isn't the issue.
The issue is whether you can, as an expert editor, create new synthesis and
analysis, never before published.

I suggested quoting, and paraphrasing, would make the article more  readable.
I never suggested that it be an article of quotes.

Surely we can figure out how to summarize Derida, or anyone else, without
injecting too much of our own overt positioning into the summary.

Will Johnson

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.