[WikiEN-l] Scientists told "publish in Wikipedia or else"

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at edmc.net
Wed Dec 17 11:28:59 UTC 2008

From: "David Goodman" <dgoodmanny at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:02 PM

> As I read their announcement, the intention is to have the Wikipedia
> article be non-technical. The first paper being reported there seems
> to be appropriate to Wikipedia. But then, its a comprehensive paper,
> on a suitable broad topic. If it is their intention to apply ttheir
> proposal to imilar papers, such as ones presenting t he genome of a
> particualr orgnaism, then all shouldgo well.
>
> But most scientific papers even in good journals are by far too
> specific to be suitable as Wikipedia articles.  If they start trying
> to insert those, our reaction will probably force them to come to the
> realization that there is a difference between an encyclopedia and a
> summary of primary research papers--in which case they might want to
> consider having their own site for t he summaries they want.  Some
> journals, such as PLOS, already do publish lay summaries.

It is nice to know that someone likes our work over there, and I do not see
that more fingers is necessarily going to be taxing. If you hav a mind for
what is either hard or tedious (if not both), and I do not see that even ten
percent of Nature subscribers are going to read and heed that call, then
welcome...I estimate that much less than ten percent of subscribers also
write for Nature, even counting letters.

There are welcome templates. If you learn about a newbie from their
ignorance of policy, then make sure they get the pillars or something
besides the specific piece they are ignoring.