[WikiEN-l] Scientists told "publish in Wikipedia or else"

Thomas Larsen larsen.thomas.h at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 01:21:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

So, if I read this correctly, anybody wanting to get an article
published in this particular journal will need to write an article for
Wikipedia first?

That's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Personally, I object to writing any full-blown article on Wikipedia
from conscientious grounds. I believe that Wikipedia is severely
flawed--in fact, I'm working on a fork at the moment. While Wikipedia
can be, and commonly _is_, very useful for getting an overview of a
topic, it is flawed both in its quality maintenance processes and,
most seriously, in its participatory culture.

Forcing experts who disagree with Wikipedia's principles and/or
culture to have to contribute to Wikipedia in order to get an article
published in a particular journal forces them to act against their
will or choose another journal.

It's the worst idea ever, seriously.

--Thomas