[WikiEN-l] JarlaxleArtemis/Grawp

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 15 06:37:23 UTC 2008

Jay Litwyn wrote:
> From: "Sarah Ewart" <sarahewart at gmail.com>:
>> I think the only options remaining are to start reporting him to the
>> police.
>
> If anyone else wants to know which police to contact, then these few things
> might be useful. Basically, you would start with...Is this legal?...I don't
> want him on my project, because...and this is how I know who he is. You
> might get some help with that from verizon's abuse contact or their abuse
> phone number. Sometimes, I'll warn ya, you can get more help from abuse
> contacts than cops, just because they're equipped to verify that e-mail
> directed at you came through them.
>
> OrgName:    Verizon Internet Services Inc.
> OrgID:      VRIS
> Address:    1880 Campus Commons Dr
> City:       Reston
> StateProv:  VA
> PostalCode: 20191
> Country:    US

This is not the relevant police department. The relevant police department
is the local police department of the victim, not the attacker. The victim
must file a complaint locally, and then the local police will take the
necessary steps to liase with the jurisdiction of the attacker.

I learnt this a few years ago when dealing with a certain Canadian.

-- Tim Starling