[WikiEN-l] Anti-intellectualism

Phil Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 04:53:20 UTC 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 11:45 PM, Fred Bauder wrote:

> We still have an editorial duty to evaluate the reliablility of
> Professfor Hausfleish and the Journal of Jane Austen Studies. And, if
> they are not reliable, reject them as inappropriate sources. If they
> are
> just personal opinion, that's what they are, inappropriate sources.

I am uncomfortable with treating anything that has gone through a
process of scholarly peer review as "just personal opinion." Period.
Now, if it's an unreviewed journal that just publishes whatever it
feels like, we run into more problems - then we have to start
considering Professor Hausfleish on his own merits as a scholar, and
look at how the piece compares to his other work.

But peer-reviewed scholarship is not personal opinion.

-Phil