[WikiEN-l] Anti-intellectualism

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 20:45:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Michel Vuijlsteke <wikipedia at zog.org> wrote:
> Diffs or it didn't happen!

Have the folks on the lists forgotten how to use contribs:

You can easily find examples in Phil's contrib history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tori_Amos&diff=prev&oldid=257127013

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> You're right, but so are they. Scholarly works in this field are just
> opinion, sophisticated opinion, but still, just opinion.
[snip]

But thats, arguably, all anything is.. Some opinions are more widely
held, or are held by more credible or identify people.

Academic citations in Wikipedia are reasonable and should be expected.
Peer reviewed works are going to, on average, be of greater quality
than blogs or mass media.  Without a careful analysis of the situation
and with my experience with Phil's good judgment on these kinds of
issues, I'm inclined to support him.