[WikiEN-l] Anti-intellectualism

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 20:34:48 UTC 2008

There's a limit to how much I can comment if you don't want to give
the specific example (your summary of the events will undoubtedly be
incomplete and biased by your opinions - that's always the way with
this kind of thing). What I will say is that the important principle
here is that of "appropriate weight". Academic criticism in
peer-reviewed papers is certainly appropriate for inclusion in an
article, but you have to make sure you don't give excessive weight to
the criticism compared to the rest of the article. As for jargon - you
should at the very least link all uses of jargon, if we don't have an
article on the concept you'll have to define it yourself. To some
extent it isn't always possible to write for the layman (I edit
mathematical articles sometimes and that's a problem we continually
face), but every effort should be made to do so. You are summarising
the criticism, so you don't need to be quite as precise (although you
mustn't misrepresent the author - it's a difficult balance), which
means you can use less well defined mainstream terms rather than
jargon in places.