[WikiEN-l] Another Mirror Question

Andrew Famiglietti afamiglietti at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 15:07:32 UTC 2008

Hey everybody, I stumbled across another wikipedia mirror with an odd
copyright notice so I thought I would ask people on here what they thought.

The site is: http://www.speedylook.com/

The content of the site appears to be a machine translation of the french
wikipedia (into english). The copyright notice at the bottom reads: "(c)
2007-2008 speedlook.com; article text available under the terms of GFDL,
from fr.wikipedia.org" Which is technically correct but seems to me
potentially misleading.

Also, I'm just curious as to why on earth they have decided to do this. Why
host an (awful) machine translation of the french site when you could just
as easily host the english wikipedia content? What gives? Does anyone have
any idea?

- Andy