[WikiEN-l] IWF blacklist

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 22:57:06 UTC 2008

This leaves several outstanding problems:
1. How many other of the 10,000 censorship decisions IWF censored this year
were equally dubious?
2. How does anyone find out about them, much less contest the mistakes?
3. What do we do about other sites that censor useful material in an
arbitrary manner?

I blogged today about the IWF and about Facebook.  Facebook has censored one
of the featured pictures I restored for Wikipedia.  The image generated zero
complaints from 17.3 million page views when it ran on Wikipedia's main
page, and I presented it in my profile merely as one of dozens of examples
of featured content work.

Yet Facebook provided no means of appeal, and my own efforts to contact them
and seek reconsideration fell on deaf ears.

The problem is bigger than IWF.

http://durova.blogspot.com/2008/12/who-watches-watchers.html

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/