[WikiEN-l] IWF backing down?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 22:04:18 UTC 2008

2008/12/9 Andrew Cates <Andrew at soschildren.org>:
> Out of interest given the IWF is not really official, has clearly
> messed up in a public way and only covers 95% percent of the ISP
> providers I am a bit surprised that the other 5% are not making more
> noise?

The problem is, most people support filtering genuine child
pornography so boasting about how you don't isn't going to look good.
Until the IWF screwed up there was really no way to know how reliable
they were, so you can't blame the ISPs (you can blame them for the
sheer incompetence of their method of blocking, though). They went
with the best option available to them. Now, hopefully, they'll
pressure the IWF to improve its procedures so things like this don't
happen in future.