[WikiEN-l] IWF backing down?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 21:05:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:43 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/9 Giacomo M-Z <solebaciato at googlemail.com>:
>
>> "Why
>> haven't BT subscribers been subject to the block? - We are!
>

> It appears BT didn't switch on the filtering of Wikipedia for a day or
> so. Presumably they specifically exempted Wikipedia. But, who knows?

Eh, nah, lots of other reasons seem more likely to me:

(*) They only process list updates once in a while
(*) The automatic update process got wedged
(*) The route injection may have been a manual process
(*) Perhaps they blocked it briefly but the traffic overloaded their
filters so they turned it off until they could resolve the problem.
(*) It's not like customers typically report that they aren't subject
to censorship, it may have been broken for months without notice.

I think all of these are simpler and more likely than a special exemption.

My understanding is that the ISPs agreement requires them to not look
and to block all.  This makes sense if you consider that the ISPs are
probably concerned about avoiding any legal liability for their
blocking / failure to block.

::Shrugs::