[WikiEN-l] IWF backing down?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 17:29:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/dec/09/wikipedia-censorship-iwf-reconsiders
>
> This is apparently the *first* IWF decision *ever* to require review.

No shock: Their blocking is conducted in secret.

While I can accept most of the blocking is probably russian kiddy-porn
hosts, I do not see any reason why we should assume that we are the
first questionable block.

It's just that with the fake error messages they managed to mostly
keep people from finding out about them.  You can't demand review if
you don't know you're being blocked. The few that know realize the IWF
is right in these cases, or simply don't give a darn about a UK
audience.

> My prediction: they've been turned to mincemeat every media interview
> they've done on the subject, we've looked like stars. Everyone
[snip]

Even the expected Wikipedia haters have had had articles along the
lines of "this case is stupid, but Wikipedia is bad anyways".  The
press is as good as we could have hoped for, I think.

> It is possible the IWF will try to make the decision stand. In which
> case, party on.

I doubt it. It wouldn't be good for their mission: Most things they
block will probably never fight back even if they knew of the block,
and most won't ever know. Unblocking us presents little danger in
setting a precedent against the IWF's interests, unless there are
immediate plans for the IWF become much more expansive in what they
block. As it stands this battle endangers their core mission. They
would be wise to back off.