[WikiEN-l] IWF backing down?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:53:41 UTC 2008

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/dec/09/wikipedia-censorship-iwf-reconsiders

This is apparently the *first* IWF decision *ever* to require review.

My prediction: they've been turned to mincemeat every media interview
they've done on the subject, we've looked like stars. Everyone
despises them. They aren't standing up too well under scrutiny. So I
suspect they'll quietly unblock Wikipedia and not block again without
at least telling us first. The censorship mechanism will stay in place
- the ISPs feel they aren't free not to sign up to this "voluntary"
scheme - and probably be refined to see if they can block sites like
us again without breaking everything as they did this time.

It is possible the IWF will try to make the decision stand. In which
case, party on.

- d.