[WikiEN-l] UK censorship: I'm on BBC Radio 4 Today show tomorrow 8:20am

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 8 15:25:00 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> On the radio interview: I thought David sounded unfair, espousing some
>> unlikely conspiracy theories suggesting that the IWF chose Wikipedia for
>> any other reason than the fact that some disgruntled Wikipedian submitted
>> it to their tip box a few days ago.
>
> The idea that they've blocked Wikipedia but not Amazon because Amazon
> has more lawyers sounds pretty plausible to me (what else could they
> mean by "pragmatic"?).
[...]

In the interview, Sarah Robertson said "as I understand it, the only
report we received of this content as of Friday was the content on
Wikipedia."

I'll assume stupidity rather than malice. "Pragmatic" could mean anything.

If they wanted this to be a test case, why would they have handled it so
ineptly?

-- Tim Starling