[WikiEN-l] UK censorship: I'm on BBC Radio 4 Today show tomorrow 8:20am

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 23:02:14 UTC 2008

2008/12/7 Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:
>> English Wikipedia strictures on nonfree image use would reduce the number of
>> acceptable images to a minimum.  Unless this is a fair application of IAR,
>> it would be more effective for David Gerard to have a *large* number of
>> photos of volunteer editors from around the globe, proudly demonstrating
>> that the site's article is no worse than an ordinary music store.
>>
>> Personally I think the album cover is tasteless.  But in the eternal
>> struggle between bad taste and hypocisy, I usually find bad taste less
>> offensive.
>
> I think most people here agrees with you on that. The cover is
> tasteless (and repulsive, even), but that doesn't mean it should be
> censored. A big chunk of the world thought the Muhammad cartoons were
> tasteless, but we have those up.

Indeed, I think everyone I have seen express an opinion on the picture
has said they dislike it (I certainly do - pictures like that belong
in medical textbooks, not album covers), but the fact remains that it
is a) legal and b) significantly adds to the article discussing it
(and is notable enough to be discussed in that article), thus it
should be included.