[WikiEN-l] Has an article in a paper encyclopedia, but it's "Not Notable"

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Dec 4 17:59:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2008/12/3 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> > On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> long
> >>
> >> Things get proposed for AFD all the time that shouldn't be deleted,
> >> that's why we have an AFD process and don't just let anyone delete
> >> anything they like. If it actually gets deleted, then it may be
> >> indicative of a problem, but just getting put up for AFD isn't a
> >> problem at all.
> >
> > Not *at all*?  Doesn't it waste everyone's time?
>
> Well, it uses up people's time, but the alternative is things not
> getting deleted that should be, so I don't consider it a waste of
> time.

The alternative to proposing things for AFD all the time that shouldn't be
deleted is to not delete things that should be?  I don't see how that
follows.

If a system of community prosecution was constantly putting innocent people
on trial, would that not be a problem at all?   The alternative is to not
put criminals in jail, right?

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Charlotte Webb
<charlottethewebb at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 12/4/08, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tagged, but not deleted? Sounds like the system is working, then.
>
> To the same extent that a non-fatal runway incursion indicates good
> traffic control (read: minimally).

Actually, it's less indicative of the system working, because the sample is
naturally skewed towards the articles which are not deleted.  I suppose the
sample set includes articles which were deleted and then undeleted, although
I've even heard those referred to as evidence that the system is working.