[WikiEN-l] Suggestion on how referencing system could be improved

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Thu Dec 4 16:39:32 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 December 2008, Carcharoth wrote:
> A popular approach? No offense, but isn't this just the way it should
> have been done all along? It is certainly the way many journals and
> books do it, and it is common sense.

By which standard? Short notes with bibliography is not that common from my experience and little covered in Chicago.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Lissitzky

This is a good example of the form, though the non-hypertextual short note is certainly inconvenient.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_evolution

This is a Frankenstein. A mixture of two styles: long notes and short notes + bibliography. I've never seen this in print and is poor practice.