[WikiEN-l] Has an article in a paper encyclopedia, but it's "Not Notable"

Sigvat Kuekiatngam Stensholt st09039 at mi.uib.no
Thu Dec 4 11:06:01 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2008/12/2 Sigvat Kuekiatngam Stensholt <st09039 at mi.uib.no>:
>
>> I am in one sense amused, in another sense astonished, that Ellen
>> Hambro, the leader of what is effectively the Norwegian Environmental
>> Protection Agency, up for AFD, and even more astonished to see some long
>> time contributors voting to delete it.
>>

> Things get proposed for AFD all the time that shouldn't be deleted,
> that's why we have an AFD process and don't just let anyone delete
> anything they like. If it actually gets deleted, then it may be
> indicative of a problem, but just getting put up for AFD isn't a
> problem at all.

Like I said in the original post, I would not have posted this letter
had I believed this to be a one-off incident. But I have seen THREE such
incidents in the past week, including one incident of a literally
encyclopedic shipping company tagged for an A7 speedy deletion. None of
these nominations appear to have been made in bad faith, but I think
they are all badly misguided.

When I saw at least one long time user voting to delete the Hambro
article, after her coverage in a major paper encyclopedia was
established, I grew more worried still. (Fortunately, the Hambro article
seems headed towards a keep, but with some administrators closing
debates according to their whims instead of the discussion, e.g.
determining any "no consensus" on any BLP as a "delete", I cannot be
entirely sure.)

It may be a statistical fluke that I have seen so many of these
incidents lately, but I am worried that this is the symptom of a larger
problem, namely that perfectly good-faith editors, on a way too
superficial evaluation, are shooting the article first, without
bothering to check for sources or possible improvements. I feel that
such an approach will inevitably cause some very poor deletions. It is
entirely plausible that Star Shipping would have been speedily deleted,
had not the original author intervened with a {{hangon}}.

Sjakkalle