[WikiEN-l] What exactly is Durova saying here?

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 19:55:29 UTC 2008

Some background appears to have been lost in this thread.  For two years now
I've extended a standard offer to support the return of banned editors under
certain conditions.

*Refrain from socking for six months.
*Promise to refrain from the behavior that caused the ban.
*Don't create other reasons to rethink that offer.

That time frame is adjustable under certain conditions.  I've been known to
welcome people back in half that time if they do good drama-free work at a
sister wiki.

Jonas is active at a sister wiki, but his record there is quite spotty.  And
he's been socking consistently.  Each occasion resets that six month clock,
so at the point he requested an end to his ban he was a bit short of the 90
day mark.  Those aren't circumstances that would shorten the time frame.
The question was whether to lengthen it.

Both his presentation and with his subsequent conduct have been
unimpressive.  Decidedly so.  It's gone on long enough and I've declared my
new offer.  There's no obligation to extend one at all.

Ironically enough, just a few threads beneath Ionas's request I was helping
another banned editor who really regretted his mistakes and who'd been
getting the run-around from ArbCom for months.  The other fellow's back
now.  And there's another ban I'm preparing to appeal soon.

Now if you want to discourage experienced Wikipedians from supporting the
return of banned editors under fair conditions, an effective way to achieve
that is to take potshots at the relative few who'll sponsor requests.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/