[WikiEN-l] What exactly is Durova saying here?

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at edmc.net
Mon Dec 1 06:21:54 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Durova" <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com>
To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] What exactly is Durova saying here?

> Jonas, you have a very strange way of communicating.  You started this
> thread to ask other people what I was thinking.  They couldn't tell you,
> of
> course.  Now you're trying to tell them what I'm thinking.  That doesn't
> fly
> either

I don't get any claims of telepathy out of Ionas' post. I see honest work
from Ionas# and several blocks extended from Ryulong. The most inappropriate
one was a claim of Trolling his RfC. "Trolling" is anything that gets your
goat (usually religion or politics). If I told my high school mathematics
teacher that "Mathematicians who can't sing are incompetent", I would hav
his goat, and he might not like the way I was issuing a challenge (I didn't
say mathematicians who DON'T sing...). I see a [[WP:COI]] in Ryulong
policing posts to his own RfC, even indirectly...and there might be language
issues in the e-mails I can't see.

"ScRyulong" was a big mistake. It's not an insult, and it could still be
threatening.

> What I think is you have zero credibility, and that's your own fault.
> Don't
> expect the benefit of the doubt when you highlight an appearance of
> impropriety in your own unban request.  Not after you've been socking and
> trying 'experiments' nearly the whole time you've been banned.
>
> Now if you straighten up your act I'd nominate you for return myself.  But
> it'll be a good long time before you establish clout.  Look me up on 25
> August 2009.  If you haven't edited I'll start that AN thread and support
> your return.

Okay...so I found the twenty sock puppets in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_sockpuppets_of_Ionas68224 ,
so I really don't know how far back and frequently this would go unless you
did a merjer of some kind.

I still don't get the part about desysoped admins or self-promoting
wrestlers.

> But there's a catch.  From this point forward every post you make on the
> subject extends that time frame by one month.  So if you reply again at
> this
> thread, ask me in September.  If you restart this drama somewhere else,
> same
> thing.

You can not unilaterally block him from a list until September. As Durova
began, she did not intend to respond beyond once. Nothing compels her to
respond again or amend her noticeboard submission (I'm not even sure that
any part of it is wrong, just hard to follow and devoid of redeeming
qualities in the accused). This list is more open than the mailing list for
unblocking. It is not really meant for such things, and I do not think
anyone can say it is irrelevant.

What I am having trouble understanding is why Durova doesn't appear on
[[user_talk:Ionas68224]] if she knows so much about him. This is kind of
nasty, though. It's hard to figure out what he is talking about, and I am
guessing that it is immediately after an e-mail that I am not privy to, and
an RfC comment.
I'm just going to say this once. Stay out of Ryulong's face, or I'll block
you for disruption. It's that simple. --jpgordon∇∆∇∆ 06:01, 10 August 2007
(UTC)

> -Durova

So, the motivation for all of those sock puppets seems like an honest
*determination* to contribute, something that confuses non-wikiholics, and I
can not subtract personal defense motives in Ryulong from the initial blocks
that started it all. Then there's the warning thing. [[WP:STRIKES]] suggests
three warnings, and I see about five blocks that get longer with about one
intervening warning, unless they were delivered by e-mail. That's my guess,
and I've only scratched the surface.
_______