[WikiEN-l] Closed wikis

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 01:36:28 UTC 2008

It has came to my attention that closed wikis can be the source of problems
particularly for IW links.

When a wiki is locked down (generally for inactivity) edits to the site are
completely blocked.

This is a problem because IW links can no longer be fixed meaning there is a
permanent invalid IW linkage which may mislead bots and humans (visitors
reading articles) alike.

In addition it creates a backlog as the wikis in question will be unlocked
eventualy. Admittedly the locked wikis are small so backlog isnt exactly too
big of a deal.

In adition locked wikis also need to be edited for SUL unifications,
username renames (can relate to SUL), leftover spam deletions and etc.

I really think certain usergroups and/or global usergroups should be allowed
to edit such wikis.

    - White Cat