[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia and Free Culture at Large

Ben Yates ben.louis.yates at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 19:24:29 UTC 2008

Good luck pushing this through on-wiki.  Awhile back, I saw a bunch of
soft redirects up for deletion -- the articles had already been
deleted, and someone had gone through and made soft redirects to the
Wikia versions of the same content (fan material).  As far as I know,
the redirects were all deleted.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Philip Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2008, at 7:47 AM, Wily D wrote:
>>
>> Wikiquote, Wikisource, et al. are all, at least nominally, part of the
>> same project.
>
> Are they? I mean, is that true from a community perspective, or a WMF
> perspective?
>
>> Freeness is a wonderful attribute, but the honest truth is that it's
>> of virtually zero value to our readers.  By and large, they care about
>> gratis, but not libre.  Do we try to impose our ideology that way?
>> Are external links for editors, rather than readers, who necessarily
>> care more about freeness?
>
> If we're going for a readerly argument, fine - do away with our cruft
> and notability guidelines. As it's also clear that we have readers who
> want coverage of things we're hesitant to provide.
>
>> If it's just internal navigation/external navigation, then it's just
>> internal projects and external projects.  If there's a different
>> scheme, there should be a clear reason why a reader cares about free
>> vs. unfree.
>
> Again, though, internal to what? I would suggest that on [[Han Solo]]
> there is more overlap between the editors and readers of it and the
> Wookiepedia page on Han Solo than there is between the editors and
> readers of it and the Wikiquote page.
>
> And yet one gets a colored box, and the other doesn't.
>
> -Phil

Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://enotes.com/blogs/wikipedia