[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia and Free Culture at Large

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 04:23:39 UTC 2008

Well as a free-content encyclopedia, are we really proponents of
special-linking only free projects?  After all most encyclopedias reference  copyrighted m
aterial, and I would think we'd really want more to reference the  highest
quality material, not just if it's also free content.

So for example we could have a special template link for the Encyclopedia
Brittanica for those articles we have, which they also have.  As a  "blogger" if
you will, we, that is the entire project, could enjoy the same  special
relationship with EB that bloggers do, that is, to deep-link and display  content
if a user is coming from our project to theirs.  (They recently  added this
ability, normally you have to subscribe.)

To me, that sort of high-quality-link would be beneficial, and helpful to
have it specially noted, in the same way that say Wikisource or Wikiquote is,
and yet the material is copyright.

Will Johnson

deal here.