[WikiEN-l] Advertising on Wikipedia

Siobhan Hansa helenseal at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 21:51:24 UTC 2008

Steve Summit wrote:
> Nathan wrote:
>> Honestly? You can't think if anything the Foundation could do with more
>> money, or a more stable stream of income?
>
> But that's not what I asked.  I asked what the Foundation *needed*
> more money for, what it was currently failing at without more money.
> (And you didn't answer either question.)

The Foundation may or may not need *more* money - I haven't paid much
attention to announcements about future plans.

But having diversified revenue streams is a wise financial strategy for
a non-profit.  Earned income is something many nonprofits look for in
order to supplement other funding.

Donations and grants tend to be kind of cyclical.  When a big grant
doesn't come through or the foundations making grants decide your
mission is no longer a match with their own or they don't want to go on
funding you indefinitely your nonprofit can be left with a sudden drop
in income that they are unable to absorb without a significant impact on
services.  And when the economy takes a hit that impacts donors there is
little a nonprofit that relies on individual donations can do to adjust
other than cutting programs.  The more diverse the income streams the
less a drop in one revenue stream will hurt the organization overall.

Not that I'm a supporter of advertising on Wikipedia.  But I do think
it's the Foundation's duty to explore possible revenue streams and plan
for a stable future.

SiobhanHansa