[WikiEN-l] Florence

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Aug 15 17:43:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Marc Riddell
<michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>wrote:

> The only "humans" that could truly "screw up", ruin, better still, destroy
> Wikipedia are those who would, through advertising or other
> commercialization, exploit it for their own financial gain.

Why is financial gain given such a bad rap compared to just about any other
type of gain?  What about those who exploit Wikipedia for their own
political gain, or heavenly gain, or for some misguided utilitarian gain?
I'd say the bigger threat to Wikipedia is from those who have a goal other
than personal financial gain.  Time and time again I see articles ruined not
by corporations trying to sell their goods but by idealogues trying to push
their utilitarian (or religious) theories.

I've never understood the strong aversion to money seemingly held by some
Wikipedians.