[WikiEN-l] The dangers of not citing Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 00:15:05 UTC 2008

In a message dated 8/12/2008 4:50:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
delirium at hackish.org writes:

don't  see why Wikipedia should be special-cased here. It's not common
practice  in academic publishing to cite all the research tools you used
in arriving  at your actual sources. I don't usually cite Lexis-Nexis
when I look up an  article through it, or JSTOR, or my local reference
librarian, or  Wikipedia, or Britannica, or some website with a list of
interesting  articles, or Google.>>

That misstates the issue.

Some of the above are mindless programmatic tools that merely cast indexes
into the wind and see what sticks to them.  They are not creative *on an
article specific basis*.  They are merely methods *by which* you can find  expert
human resources about one subject, they are not those resources  themselves.
So Lexis-Nexis, so Jstor, so local reference librarian, so  Google.

However Wikipedia, Brittanica and "some website with a list of interesting
articles" (provided it's generated by specific human effort to that article
topic, and not automagically) are not in the same category.

The question to ask in these cases would be: "Would a PERSON recognize  their
work being revealed in my work, without citation?"  The courtesy of
secondary citation is not extended to a computer program but rather to a person,  an
author, or in the case of Wikipedia or Brittanica sometimes a small group of
authors.  It is *people* who we are trying to not offend.  Google  takes no
offense, it cannot, as it has no emotions.

An author of a biographical dictionary, can take offense.

Will Johnson

Read reviews on AOL Autos.