[WikiEN-l] The dangers of not citing Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 23:48:21 UTC 2008

In a message dated 8/11/2008 4:23:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
thomas.dalton at gmail.com writes:

I don't  doubt that it happens. It's completely unacceptable and is why
people  should not cite Wikipedia is serious research.>>

---------------------------
I can't agree with that.
We have many articles that are quite good, clear, concise and very close to
the money.
Also I'm not sure where you draw the line between serious research and
not-serious research?

When I do my work, I use Wikipedia as a tool to ferret out other sources,  to
explain and illuminate side-issues, etc.  The main focus of the thesis
should rely on both primary and secondary material and Wikipedia can serve as
secondary material.  However if Wikipedia is your sole source of  information,
then you are in trouble.  But if Wikipedia is a main source,  or even a
*starting* source from which you launch your digging, using its  article citations to
ferret out more details, then Wikipedia should be cited,  whether you quote it
or not.

Will Johnson

Read reviews on AOL Autos.