[WikiEN-l] The dangers of not citing Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 23:06:27 UTC 2008

In a message dated 8/11/2008 3:54:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
thomas.dalton at gmail.com writes:

Sure  they do. You just have to go down to the local library. For the
most part,  we're talking about academics/students so they can just go
to the Uni  library which will have plenty of old  newspapers.>>

-------------
I would submit that the majority of Wikipedians are not academics except
amateur ones.
And you will recall the story cited here stated that the library  in-question
had "8,000 volumes".

I myself went to Northwestern University, which I believe claimed something
like 100,000 volumes.  That's quite different.  We do have editors  in-Wiki
who cite underlying source without citing the overlying source.   I've
personally encountered it several times.  Usually the way it's found  is where the
extract is so apparently biased that the suspicion is raised that  it's
out-of-context.  So after digging into the source, the original editor  may admit that
they cut the quote off a web site and didn't really read the  underlying source
directly.

You get this quite a bit with things like details about various presidents
and what they supposedly said.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.