[WikiEN-l] proposal regarding pm editing restrictions

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 14:28:26 UTC 2008

Its probably moot at this point, Matt, since the mentorship proposal is
gaining ground, but - you're absolutely right that the original decision of
the Committee was based on the merits, and I have no opinion on
whether the remedies were appropriate or not at that time.

Since then, though, the response to the appeals hasn't contained much
in the way of review on the merits - primarily "not enough time has passed."
This appeal was shaping up to be no exception, even though the "enough time"
described in the first appeal had gone by. If there are concerns based on
his
editing history since the case, then I think we'd all appreciate hearing
those
concerns described. Only Sam has done so - with PM's edits to the ArbCom
page, and his reward board post. So far, the reaction by most people who
have commented is that few if any see those edits as presenting a
problem significant enough to warrant maintaining the restriction.

Editors, particularly adult editors, don't change personalities much over
time -
or between subjects. You are right about that. On the other hand, new
editors
have a pretty significant learning curve when it comes to community
expectations
and values. I think PM has done an excellent job on becoming an active and
productive editor and member of the community since his case was before
the committee, and I'd just like to see a more substantive acknowledgment
of that fact by you folks.

Nathan