[WikiEN-l] The dangers of not citing Wikipedia

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Mon Aug 11 00:26:47 UTC 2008

The problem is that we have tens, even hundreds, of thousands of students
who routinely consult Wikipedia when doing research, but don't cite it,
and perhaps are not allowed to. There are a lot of folks who don't
understand plagiarism, thinking it applies to copying material, but not
to use of information.

The typical response is "Well, I look at the Wikipedia article, but don't
use it. I use the sources it cites... Using those sources is using
information from the article. They are part of it. To say nothing of
orienting themselves regarding the subject by reading, and using the
ideas from the Wikipedia article.

Fred