[WikiEN-l] Who was saying quantity vs quality?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Aug 8 21:36:54 UTC 2008

In a message dated 8/8/2008 2:10:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bryan.derksen at shaw.ca writes:

Or  alternately, that articles on pop culture subjects more frequently
have  people gunning for their deletion, and lack of references is an
easy way  to try accomplishing that. Few people are going to challenge an
article on  a 19th century poet.>>

--------
You'd be surprised.  Typically pop culture subjects don't fail from a  lack
of references.  Although at first people might try to use fan sites or  other
poor web sites, typically you can find any number of newspaper articles  about
some pop culture item.

I have had articles on older subjects challenged based on not being to find
much in Google.  One in particular which springs to mind dealt with a
teacher/doctor who was important in the history of Seattle.  This  particular person
had an elementary school named *for* him and yet was  challenged on notability
grounds.  IIRC the article actually went through  an AfD.

Which begs the question of whether we need to make it clear that "If  someone
has a large structure named FOR them, then obviously they are *notable*  no
matter what you can or can't find in Google."

Google is heavily weighted toward the last ten years, Google Books will
change that, but only '''very'''' gradually.
Will Johnson

Read reviews on AOL Autos.