[WikiEN-l] No-indexing of project-space pages

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 18:53:35 UTC 2008

In a message dated 8/4/2008 9:12:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
szilagyi at gmail.com writes:

> So if there was an
> article, [[Will Johnson]] about yourself, and the talk page came up near the
> top of the searches with extremely inappropriate and negative commentary
> about you for clients, possible employers, and family to find, you'd have no
> problem with this?>>

---------
That's why we have oversight.
In my opinion, short of oversight, there is absolutely no reason now or ever
to delete material which some may find objectionable.  The responsibility for
what is said, rests completely on the shoulders of the speaker.

The responsibility for requesting oversight, rests completely on the
shoulders of the subject.

If the subject doesn't care, and no one cares enought to tell the subject, or
warn the speaker or anything else except speak in vague and general terms
about the "world" then there is no problem, just a theory.  Hypothetical cases
don't persuade me, real-life cases might.  Depends on the issue, the verbage and
the subject.

I would have no problem whatosever with negative commentary about myself, if
it was evidence-based.  I've been the subject, as have we all, of senseless
carping and wailing and bitching.  That doesn't bother me one bit.  It's  a part
of real life.

Libel is not the same as "you smell and you suck!"

I think we should appreciate that distinction.

Will Johnson