[WikiEN-l] No-indexing of project-space pages

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 01:31:57 UTC 2008

In a message dated 8/3/2008 6:09:42 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
newyorkbrad at gmail.com writes:

As I  understand your position, it is that as a matter of principle,
petty  disputes among Wikipedia contributors (many of whom edit under their
real  names), as well as negative remarks about subjects of deleted articles
and  the like, should not only be preserved on Wikipedia itself, but they
must  remain readily available as top Google hits for the people in  question,
presumably in perpetuity.  This position is not  defensible.>>

-----------------
It's then a good thing I suppose that this isn't my position.
My position is that we already have internal mechanisms to handle the
objections you first broached.

We're not babysitters and we shouldn't act like cyber cops.  If people  call
each other hateful names, that's what they did.  The entire blame for  their
actions rests solely on their own shoulders.  I feel no  responsibility for
what someone else did, and that they did it, knowing full  well that others would
and have seen it.  That is the very nature of a  public forum.

If a particular instance can be shown to require oversight, than it should,
and has.  That we should make a sweeping change for a few minor issues is
vast overkill and in the light that there are other options.

Will Johnson

Read reviews on AOL Autos.