[WikiEN-l] an interesting article

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 02:34:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM, private musings <thepmaccount at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's an interesting article;
> http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/by-the-people/2008/07/29/1217097249794.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2
>
> interesting that the author notes "Wikipedia came into its own on July 7,
> 2005, at 8.50am, when four synchronised bombs exploded in London's
> transportation system." - I'd be interested to hear thoughts in general
> about this article - but on this point specifically... should the en-wiki be
> encouraging the 'news' type items over to Wikinews, or embracing them as a
> core strength of the project....
>
> cheers,
>
> Peter
> PM.

I don't see any issue in Wikipedia working with "news" type events
when they clearly will be of encyclopedic notability, and of course
Wikinews should do so as well, each one in its own style. The London
bombings were of this nature. It's the more "passing" items that are
of unclear notability that should be initially on Wikinews only, and
covered on Wikipedia only later on if a body of coverage really does
become established over time.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.