[WikiEN-l] Bad-word robot

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:56:22 UTC 2008

On 30/04/2008, WJhonson at aol.com <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> So to advance the cause, I propose some sort of Robot that would
> collect  and
> collate apparent "bad word usage" into one area, or by a category
> flag,  so
> those articles could be more easily found and fixed.  Of  course then we'd
> need
> a "bad word list" page or something like that for it to  use.
>
> I have no idea myself how to code a robot, but that's my proposal.
> So now we can at least discuss something.
>
> Let's not get sidetracked into the "this isn't what we should
> discuss"  vein.
> If you want to start a new thread, go ahead.
>
> Will

One of the BLPs on my watchlist is regularly subjected to naughty words and
expressions from drive-by vandalism, which has been cleaned up from time to
time by either ClueBot or VoABot II.  They clearly have some criteria, for
example neither will come back and remove an identical edit that they've
reverted; and they don't catch all of the naughty word vandalism, probably
closer to 50-60%.  It's a start though, and perhaps having more bots of this
type roaming through articles, or even having an alert system would help.
Good idea, Will.

Risker