[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Searchability of non-mainspace pages

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 11:04:00 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Stojnic <rainmansr at gmail.com>
Date: 2008/4/29
Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] [WikiEN-l] Searchability of non-mainspace pages
To: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

 >Is there documentation on the available prefixes? Because they are
damn useful.

 There used to be documentation on the old extension page [1], but I
 guess that wasn't very clear. It used to be possible to define your own
 subsets of namespaces as separate prefixes, but that somehow didn't get
 ported when we switched to MWSearch. Here is an overview of current
 functionality:
 Prefixes:
 * all - searches all namespaces,
   e.g. all:kurt vonnegut
 * <namespace name> - search one particular namespace,
   e.g. wikipedia:deletion
 * <ns1>,<ns2>,<ns3>,... - search a list of namespaces,
   e.g. help,help_talk:tables
 * incategory - search articles in category (when category is added
 directly by the article and *not* via template),
   e.g. incategory:"Living people" incategory:"University of California,
 Berkeley faculty"

 the last one gives a limited mock-up category intersection capability
 (don't trust the highlight there :), which could be useful for testing
 if someone would want to make the category intersection frontend.

 r.

 [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LuceneSearch