[WikiEN-l] Neutral point of view

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 14 13:33:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:47:58PM -0400, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> Essentially the same logic applies to your above statement.
> "Neutral point-of-view" is not a point-of-view, it is the absence of any
> point-of-view.

I don't think there is much support in contempory critical theory for
the idea that a writer can write without presenting a point of view, or
that a reader can read without a point of view.  Trying to pretend that
we have no point of view will only make us blind to our own viewpoint.

 - Carl

--

  It is useful to make the following three observations about language
  games. The first is that their rules do not carry within themselves

    Jean-François Lyotard, The Postmodern Condition