[WikiEN-l] Neutral point of view

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 18:43:46 UTC 2008

Most articles are written by a host of people who have a wide
assortment of biases.  Going over the biases of everyone involved in
writing [[Muhammad]], say, would take weeks or months.  Realistically,
in a "wiki"-model, the reality is a huge mismash of biases exist, and
we hope they more or less average out (this is really only expected as
the number of involved editors goes to infinity, but usually a dozen
or two will get you pretty close) - and once dozens or hundreds get
involved we expect this.

Wiki-info or some such thing (I believe it's run by Fred Bauder)
adopts an "advocate's" POV, I believe they also have 2nd pages that
adopts the "critic's" point of view.

So you can look over what adopting an advocate's POV would look like.
The answer is that it's pretty useless as a resource - the web is
already full of biases sources - what pushes Wikipedia to the 9th most
viewed site on the internets (or wherever we live these days) is
partly NPOV - you're far less likely to be reading a blatant
misrepresentation that you are on Joe Random's website.

NPOV may only be achieve asymptotically, but that's far more valuable
than what drips out of a propoganda outlet.

Cheers
WilyD