[WikiEN-l] Truthiness- Wikipedia Video

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Fri Apr 11 15:08:48 UTC 2008

This confusion about "truth" is tiresome [1]. It is completely possible for
their to be a single objective (ontological) reality and corresponding
*truth*, but to appreciate that we each have our own (epistemic)
*perspective* and *understanding* which is imperfect -- as Wales indicates.
I'm beginning to suspect that po-mo and conservative pundits continue this
misunderstanding with each other so they can feel provocative or get
attention. Macha says "there are many truths" and Keen states "when you
democratize this, truth is the casualty." Oh, for heaven's sake: shame on
both of them.

Keen's book was sloppy; my favorite critic of Wikipedia continues to be
Robert McHenry who notes "I don't question the fact that there's a great
deal of very good very solid information in Wikipedia, it could hardly be
otherwise. By sheer chance there would be there some good stuff in there.
My criticism is that there is some very very bad stuff, and there's no way
to tell the difference" (30 minute). The "sheer chance" bit is true and
made me laugh -- and this is the recurrent motif of monkeys banging on
typewriters which, as I discuss in [2], has been a recurrent theme since
Norbert Weiner decades ago, and even back to Gottfried Leibniz in 1680. But
his criticism of telling the difference *is* important and amendable to
improvement, though it appears to be a difficult problem. Some sort of
approved content scheme for Wikipedia has been discussed often, and was
even proposed and discussed 10 years earlier on Interpedia [3].

[1]:http://reagle.org/joseph/2006/disp/proposal.html#heading9
[[
In Theories of Truth, Richard Kirkham (1995:2) notes that notions of truth
vary. When philosophers address the topic, they might be undertaking any
number of projects, such as asking what is truth, what is it for something
to be true, what do we mean by the terms truth and falsehood, what are
criterion of truth, what are the necessary and sufficient conditions of a
statement's truth? Or, perhaps they are providing a descriptive account of
the use of "true," specifying criteria of evidence, or showing how truth
conditions depend on sentence structure. Furthermore, philosophers pursuing
these notions might often be vague in their description of their project,
confusing in that they conflate the distinct projects above without
realizing it, ambiguous in that they use the same words for different
concepts (e.g., "myth" as false or "myth" as believed to be true by the
individual), misleading in using different words for the same concepts
(e.g., "transsubjective" and "objective"). Consequently, I will briefly
touch upon the work of scholars concerned with communication to pose an
understanding of subjective experience, common intersubjective ground, and
shared hints of objectivity.
]]
[2]:http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/culture/wikipedia/annc-in-good-faith
[3]:http://1997.webhistory.org/www.lists/www-talk.1994q1/1003.html