[WikiEN-l] Acknowledgements sections on articles

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 23:15:17 UTC 2008

Also, just for interest sake, why was the following edit made [1] ...
when it is clear that it is allowed previously anyway. In the future
will people be told that Wikipedia is licensed under "version 2.2 or
later" or "1.3 or later" when it is clear some contributions are
inevitably available under 1.1 and it should be clear that it is 1.1
or later. Using "or later" or unilaterally changing the base version
doesn't invalidate ones right to interpret the prior versions as
binding on text contributed under them. (Interestingly that change was
made after the Bomis collection copyright notice was removed so it is
unclear who has the copyright on the collection in order to possibly
delegitimise the use of 1.1 to interpret text contributed pre that
date, and text modified post that date)

Really should include all of the relevant licenses instead of just the
current one implying that everything is in the current one.

I like the approach of a number of open source projects who form
foundations to own the copyright to contributed material, as they
avoid these thorny issues with relicensing past works.

Peter

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Copyrights&diff=1080358&oldid=1057131