[WikiEN-l] Acknowledgements sections on articles

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Tue Apr 1 23:00:03 UTC 2008

Peter Ansell schreef:
> See Section 4.K on the wikipedia hosted page [1]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License
>
> I was never shown the "no invariant sections" statement when I
> contributed my past entries, and to change the license would be to
> relicence everyones contributions...

At the bottom of each page is the text "All text is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. (See [[Copyrights]] for
details.)" Copyrights links to [[WP:Copyrights]], which specifies the
exact licensing terms: "with no Invariant Sections, with no Front-Cover
Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts."

At the bottom of each edit page, this is repeated.

If you'd like to change this, be aware that Wikipedia used to have
invariant sections; they were removed because they were considered
non-free.

> It is entirely logical that if someone is contributing as part of an
> academic grant that they should be able to acknolwedge that.

Yes, on the side of the contributor it is logical to include an
acknowledgment; on WP's side, however, it is logical to remove such
non-free (because not removable) sections, which may mean removing the
entire contribution.

Eugene