[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 16:34:06 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Rich Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Your question could just as easily be "What group or groups of people
> are prevented from learning from Wikipedia when blatant copyright
> violations are included?" Many authors would not care, and can always
> issue a take-down notice if they do.

It could put downstream users of Wikipedia's supposedly "free" content
in a legally sticky situation, particularly if they are profiting from
said use.

> I am not educated in all the legal issues, but I understand that "fair
> use" images creates more legal issues than free licensed images,
> especially when you go to distributing to those who do not have access
> to the internet. Is distributing to non-internet connected users not
> also part of our goal?

Yes, even the Chinese kids of popular cliche, but god help them if
their 99c coloring books contain copyvios which were
dumped/mirrored/whatever before being deleted from the article in
question.
—C.W.